HOPE: Are you feeling it?
Are you hopeful about your retirement? Are you looking forward to achievement and ongoing personal success in this next stage of life? If you are, then it’s more likely to come true. That self-fullfing prophecy always does seem to work its way into many of life’s situations.
If your view of retirement is negative and just thinking about it makes you apprehensive, then it’s time to ask yourself just what do you expect your life to look like when you are retired? Identify what your expectations are and it will take away some of the fear of the “unknown.”
Do you expect your retirement years to be a continuation of your life as it is right now or do you expect to make some changes? Think about how much of your energy is devoted to all these areas in “pre-retirement”. What would be your ideal amount in retirement?
Things to Consider:
- Will you have a career or continue to work? What will become your life cause?
- How much time of your time will be with family? What will you be doing with them?
- What about other relationships? Will you look for new relationships or build on ones that are already established?
- Will you focus more on you? On your health? On doing the things that truly make you happy?
- Who will guide you? Are you interested in being more spiritual or developing more of a relationship with a higher power or even with nature?
- When and how will you step away from your daily activities? What will you do when you don’t have to do anything else? How much leisure time will you need to feel balanced?
Just asking yourself some simple questions will move you from dreading retirement to seeing opportunities in this new life stage.
Feeling more hopeful?
People of all ages struggle to live a more meaningful life, but the struggle to identify a meaningful retirement is very real. Working with a certified retirement coach can help you frame what’s important to you and how to work towards it in order to find a meaningful life in retirement. Please contact us if you would like to discuss your journey and how we can help.